Saturday, March 13, 2010

Merryvale - March 2010

This isn't our first date at Merryvale. Without a doubt, it has one of the most beautiful tasting rooms we've found. The private tastings are conducted in the cask room, and sometimes in casks themselves! The bar is large and we've had the same pourer each time (some years apart), who is not only very knowledgeable, but his aim is seek out your tastes so he can focus his pours on that which you will most likely enjoy (and therefore, buy).

My indictment of Merryvale has never been the TRL or the Staff; it's the price of the wine. Without reservation, I'll say that if you find a good deal on Merryvale wines, exploit it!

2009 Sauvignon Blanc Julian Vineyard :$22/$25
If you're looking for a high-end Sau Blanc, this is a good buy. The notes were rich and full of lemons and green apples. Delicious! The recollection of it compels me to open a bottle...but it's still morning and I haven't finished my coffee, yet, so... maybe later.

2008 Pinot Noir Carneros : $35/$33
Big nose with smoke, caramel, and other spicy herbs. The palate didn't follow, though. In fact, it was a little odd that mushroom was the predominant flavor. If I'd caught that on the nose, I would have suggested it was corked, but no...

2008 Stanley Ranch Pinot Noir : $65/$45-$50
The nose was very well balanced with leather, fruit, and herbs. It was obvious this was aged in 100% French oak. It had a very nice finish and wonderful flavor.

2006 Napa Valley Merlot : $39/ $30--
This wine caused some disagreement. I am very sensitive to notes of clove in a wine and find it quite off-putting. Moreover, the palate was all herbs. For some it was worth $30, but others wouldn't buy it at gunpoint.

2004 Merlot Los Amigas (1.5L) : $86/$62-$70
It has an unusual nose of somewhat fungal fruit, but very rich. It had some characteristic green pepper and leather on the nose that was enticing. It would pair spectacularly with a fillet and some blue cheese. I found that the palate lost its finish and was somewhat disappointing. It would be a good wine to "wow" a big group of friends at the end of a night of "tasting". Let me say, however, that the Los Amigas has been very enjoyable in past vintages. Recent acquisition of a 2002 Beckstoffer Vineyard (Los Amigas Merlot) has reinvigorated my enthusiasm for Napa Merlots...or at least, brought me out of the closet on them. At $39, it's a good price, but if you can steal it for less, then by all means!

2006 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley) :$42/--
It had a minty nose with some eucalyptus notes...odd, I know, but compelling. Unfortunately, the fruit disappeared on the palate.

2006 Cabernet Sauvignon (St. Helena Estate) :$95/$70-$80
What a fantastic nose! My cabs have to be medium bodied, at a minimum and this didn't disappoint. The fruit was great and complex on the palate with good balance. The tannic structure indicated it was going to live a long, long time. If you wanted a less critical analysis, I recorded someone's note of "smooth, creamy goodness!" Well...how can you argue with that? I'll tell you why I bought this one, though... The tasting fee is $15, but vacated if you buy a bottle. Done deal. $95 = $80 (my value) + $15 (tasting fee). So, in my head, I bought it for my guilt-free price.

2006 Profile (Red Blend) :$135/$60
The Profile series of wines from Merryvale are almost status wines; if you own them, then you must be rich and important. How else would you buy something so overvalued? Yes, it has a mediocre nose, with a body that is light to medium, but the fruit is forward and nice. For $135, though, I expect my ending to be happier.

2004 Profile (Red Blend) :$150/$65-$75

2001 Profile (Red Blend) :$250/---
Are you kidding me? 2001s have had good pedigree, but the mineral notes on this reminded me of a French Bordeaux. Come to think of it, so did the price...

1999 Profile (Red Blend) :$150/$85
Of this flagship series, this was my favorite. '99 has broad appeal as a vintage for me and this didn't disappoint. The old, rich cherry on the nose and palate enthused us all.

No comments: