Thursday, March 18, 2010

Barrel Tasting

Where it all began… Well, that’s not entirely accurate. We had been wine enthusiasts to some degree for quite a few years. I can still remember the first wine that thrilled me. I was in college, poor, and thought that the $18 I spent on a 1990 Cuvaison Napa Valley Merlot was extravagant. When I opened the bottle and let it wash over my palate, though, all I could think was “Wow! I never knew…”

My first taste of a quality wine impressed me with the three distinct flavors that enlightened my palate. This was the beginning of my quest for complex wines, and for that Cuvaison will always have a special place in my heart. Before this trip in March, I can honestly say that I can name each wine that had left a favorable impression on me since my first love ten years prior. (All under $20, by the way)

1990 Cuvaison Napa Valley Merlot
1997 St. Francis Old Vines Zinfandel
1999 Hess Collection Cabernet Sauvignon

My honest impression was that red wine was synonymous with complexity; an impression that held with me for quite a few years. It shouldn’t be a surprise, then, that the preponderance of wines we returned with were Cabernet Sauvignons. Bear with me, there’s a perpetual evolution to this and I’m still youthful.
While I’m at it, cut me a little slack on my note-taking skills at this point. Discipline was never a strong suit of mine.

A quick summary of Barrel Tasting 2006 included 23 wineries in 3 days (not bad for rookies) and about 8 cases of wine on the trip home. Here’s what I could find of my notes…
I have a fairly good memory, even when I don’t take notes, so I’ll do my best to recall the wineries of that trip (with broad brushes).

  1. Russian Hill Estate Winery
  2. Harvest Moon
  3. Martinelli
  4. Fritz
  5. Clos du Bois
  6. Canyon Road
  7. Geyser Peak
  8. Rodney Strong
  9. J Vineyard
  10. Kendall Jackson
  11. Christopher Creek – Purchased Futures, joined the club.
  12. Bella
  13. Michel Slumberge
  14. David Caffaro – Purchased Futures. 17 barrels to taste from
  15. Nalle
  16. Wilson – Their 2005 Syrah was still effervescent from the yeast. Bad protocol.
  17. Passalacqua
  18. Simi
  19. Stonestreet
  20. Kendall Jackson

So, I’m missing a few…shoot me.

Russian Hill Estate Winery
I’ll start by confessing that this was our first stop on our first day and we were quickly enamored by the wines, but trying to curb our enthusiasm, we refrained from purchasing futures here. It was a decision we regretted and have since made up for in spades.

2003 Gail Ann’s Vineyard Chardonnay: $28
No oak flavor, sweet, slightly tangy, light

2004 Tara Vineyard Pinot Noir: $210/6 pack (futures)
Smooth, light to medium cherry, with a good, full bouquet

The Top Block Syrah is good. Not worthy of getting a 6 pack @$150 but a couple of bottles if we can find it. (A decision we later regretted)

Harvest Moon
2003 Russian River Valley Zinfandel: $20
Smooth flavors; gentle zin, worthy of a half-case

Martinelli
2004 Guiseppi & Luisa Russian River Valley Zinfandel: $42
Smooth, vanilla or some sweet undertones; creamy
Aromas of coffee & cinnamon undertones but very alive w/ fruit

2005 Guiseppi & Luisa Russian River Valley Zinfandel
Not futures purchase; good for a couple of bottles

2005 Bondi Home Ranch Pinot Noir
Good flavor; balanced. Good for a couple of bottles.

Geyser Peak
2004 Walking Stick Cabernet: $47

Canyon Road
2004 Zapponi (Zin, Carignane, Alicante Boucher): $25

Clos du Bois
2004 North Coast Sauvignon: $15
Crisp, lemon, fresh. Great Sau Blanc, available at grocery store.

2004 Alexander Valley Petit Sirah: $25-$30 (they hadn’t decided, yet)
Note to self: Call to order case when wine is available.

Fritz
This was the beginning of an annual May-December romance with this winery. By that I mean, we return every year, and almost consistently purchase futures, in spite of the fact that this isn’t the “top-end” winery in the valley. They have a demographic (price point) and they do extremely well in it.

2005 Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel (Futures purchased)
This wine has a very unique character that I can discern blindly every time it’s opened. I recall a “zinful night” with friends where we consumed 9 bottles. This was number 7 and I recognized it immediately as soon as my nose hit the rim of my glass. There’s a blackberry and anise aroma and flavor that is unique to Fritz.

No comments: