Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cuvaison - March 2010

As club members at Cuvaison, I find a lot of value in their wines. Their vintages can be a little hit and miss, but I'm not compelled to withdraw my loyalty because of it. I'll confess that this visit left us wanting, but I still left with a case, with some confidence of improvement with age. On a positive note, this was the first time we'd been back to the Calitoga tasting room since they remodeled it and it looks fabulous! The TRL rating had been an 8 before, but now its closer to a 9.

2008 ATS Chardonnay : $54/$43.2/$36
This is very good chardonnay, to be sure; I struggle with any chard at this price.

2008 Mariafeld Pinot Noir: $32/$25.6/--
Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad wine, it's just that its character isn't one I enjoy in a Pinot Noir.

2007 F5 Pinot Noir : $45/$36/$36-$40

2005 Carneros Merlot : $30/$24/$30

2007 Carneros Syrah : $23/$18.4/$20-$32 (dissenting opinions occur)
Very nice with gamey meat.

2008 Bald Mountain Zinfandel : $28/$22.4/$29
Smelled like metal, for some reason. This is one of the wines I enjoy opening to finish a day. Past vintages have been more rewarding, but this one will do just fine!

2006 Brandlin Cabernet Sauvignon : $85/$68/$42-$60 (dissenting opinions continue to occur)
Still a little lacking on the finish. For their flagship cab, this isn't a notable vintage. I've had this cab in the past, and it has been a much better value (at the club price), with complexity. Keep trying it in the future. There'll be better ones to come...

2007 Mt. Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon : $36/$28.8/$40
What a nose! MMMM! This is one of my favorite cabs in this price range. I have come to learn that I really enjoy Mt. Veeder and Howell Mountain Cabs, and this one is emblematic. What a delicious value!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jamie,

Ernie from Club Cuvaison here (ernie@cuvaison.com). Thanks for the feedback and information on your blog. Could you send me an email with your contact information or give me a call at the Club Office - 800-253-9463? I wanted to document your blog and feedback on the Cuvaison wines you wrote about.

Please and thanks.

Ernie