Monday, June 21, 2010

Robert Young

This was at least our third barrel tasting at Robert Young. As you'll note in the prefacing blog, it was at the end of the day, so note-taking was virtually non-existent. My recollection of this winery is that they were, uncharacteristically, tasting some young wines. Usually, they wouldn't taste a wine so young as a year old, but we were seeing it.

Now, understand that Robert Young (Alexander Valley) is probably the best bordeaux blend winemaker in Sonoma County. Their Scion rivals any other in the valley (including Marlstone from Clos du Bois) and their Red Winery Road is a wonderfully fruit forward, complex red wine that can real versatility. This year, though, a couple of the wines weren't tasting well. I might argue that they went overboard with the cheese pairing and did the wines a disservice. Nonetheless, we absconded with three bottles of one of their best vintages (2003). It was no simple task, either; it took more than my charms to ply the wine from their library stores. Lo, I owe our booty to the wiles of my blond, busty, beautiful companion and the feminine charm that oozes from her pores. To her I say, Cheers!

No comments: