Monday, June 21, 2010

Mill Creek

If I haven't said it before, Mill Creek is a charming little winery. Set back from the road, in the middle of the vineyards as most of them are, it's a quaint little tasting room that is appropriately sized and staffed. They really fit a price niche and are thoroughly enjoyable.

This year, their merlot in the barrel was an incredible steal! I think they undervalue their merlots, perhaps intimidated by Twomey down the road. The two wines aren't in the same class (or style) so a comparison wouldn't be fair. Truth be told, I think they have a corner on the market in their demographic, in Russian River Valley. In any case, I'm really looking forward to the case of 2008 Estate Vineyard Merlot we'll be receiving next year.

Stop here and try their cabernet sauvignon, merlot, syrah, and don't forget "Left of Starboard", their fortified wine. Not only will you not be disappointed, I challenge you to leave without a bottle!

No comments: